Muc Off

Post your maintenance and cleaning questions and discussions in here
Post Reply
User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm
Muc Off

Post by Ninjachica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:34 pm

I've finally done it!! After more than 20 years, I've bought some motorbike specific cleaner :shock:

In the past, I've only ever used soap/car wash/sponge/WD40.
(Apart from recently, when I've used that fly dissolving stuff)
Last night, I spent an hour cleaning the Fazer, most of which was on the back wheel. (The rest wasn't particularly dirty) It looks like new. So today, I bought a big bottle of Muc-off. Hopefully, next time, I can just spray the stuff on, juggle it around with a brush, and hey-presto - shiny new bike :-D

We will see.
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
bobsnicholson
Posts:2579
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am
Location:Cheshire

Re: Muc Off

Post by bobsnicholson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Good on ya.
As you know my bike is not in showroom condition.
I read a test ages ago for bike cleaner and Dr Wack S Doc 100 Total Bike Cleaner won, so i bought some. Spray on, wait a few mins pressure or hose off, wallah a brand new bike. Might, only might do mine this weekend.
Oh i think this stuff is from Kroutland.
Work is for people that can't play golf.

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Muc Off

Post by Ninjachica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:17 pm

bobsnicholson wrote: โ†‘
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm
Good on ya.
As you know my bike is not in showroom condition.
Yours just needed a duster :-D
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Muc Off

Post by Beelady » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 pm

I use Muc Off on the bits that get any oil splatter from the Scottoiler and on the wheels. I think it's great stuff for any mucky bits. John and his mate had started using snowfoam which is a spray on/wash off thing. They both liked it but I though it was rubbish. I am a bit picky about cleaning though. I have a collection of brushes for all the Street Triple's twiddly bits, but I like washing and polishing it. I turn the radio on and get stuck in. I've done it between showers this evening. It needs to look pretty for an all girls outing to a chopper club show tomorrow :)

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Muc Off

Post by Ninjachica » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Beelady wrote: โ†‘
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 pm
an all girls outing to a chopper club show tomorrow :)
Hmmm
Is that a very special show for adults only?
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Muc Off

Post by Beelady » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:59 pm

I wish. I was expecting expecting a lot of grizzled old men with beard bands and many leather vests and that's exactly what we saw :D It was fun anyway, apart from having to park in the middle of the roughest field I've been in for some time. Long grass to catch your feet in as well so I put my feet up right away and prayed. I made it but it must have looked quite exciting as it was sliding about a bit. There were people falling off all over the place but we ladies didn't let the side down. None of us fell off or squeaked in alarm loud enough to be heard :shock:

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Muc Off

Post by Ninjachica » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Finally got around to cleaning off after Loomies ๐Ÿ˜

Doused the bike in muc off, then left it to do its job. Came back a bit later, and was disappointed to see that I still needed to wash and polish it ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
Gleaming now. Might have to go to work on it tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
BaldE
Posts:7
Joined:Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Re: Muc Off

Post by BaldE » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 pm

I am hopeless at cleaning the bike, don't get me wrong when I get started, I quite enjoy it and I am responsible for the the hygiene in a (RTE) ready to eat food production factory, so I know the mechanics of cleaning but I am still pretty damned hopeless. The main issue is I will find something not quite right on the bike and I go off on one incrementally getting deeper into the bike. So after loomies I promised myself that the Viffer was to get a damned good going over, as it had hooned down most of the way down and back. I hate road crud with a passion. So rinsed & foamed the bike left it on for 20 min rinsed it off, then set to work with the two bucket system ie clean on rinse off in the second bucket. This stops you potentially putting dirt back on the bike but is a pain because you need to be systematic. Of course, after ten or twenty mins my mind wandering and off we go on wiring a new (from fleabay) usb socket on to the bike. Cleaning stops, tank lifted and running cable to the handle bars. Mrs points out the drive is covered in cleaning kit and she can't get the car back on the drive. So momentarily I stop testing the connection, shift the kit away and get rid of the water, cleaning never restarts. Mate pops around during the week and while looking at the bike start piss taking about ......Oh well. :-p
Who cares ..we never win

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Muc Off

Post by Beelady » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 pm

It's only me who actually enjoys bike cleaning then. I had a feeling it might be. You should see the ER5 now I've washed several years of dirt off it. It's really very good for its age. I am getting a terrible urge to start tarting it up since I found a few touches of rust on the swinging arm. I have sent for workshop manual to see if it's something I can take apart and do myself. I start off well but nearly always end up having to get help to undo things. It's really frustrating. It's getting a new chain and sprockets too. I will be supervised but it's something else I want to have a go at doing myself.

Post Reply