User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm
Just like the old days.

Post by Beelady » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:47 am

Out yesterday, with two friends for a proper day out on bikes. Kawasaki still needed some new tyre whiskers rubbing off so that's what I took out.
Dry and bright, although main roads were good, we, of course, abandoned nice clean tarmac for some flooded goat tracks and back lane riding. We like a challenge :)
Stopped around 12 for lunch, very close to my old house, but we didn't go past and look at the carnage this time.
Phil must have noticed that I was a bit quiet and when we got back out to head for home he turned off the main road almost at once and onto the brilliant marsh roads, which are my favourite thing of all for winter riding :)
It's hard to describe the fun you can have on those tiny, bendy roads. In the winter you can see for miles, so any traffic is easily visible. It's flat and you can ride a lot faster than in summer when it's pretty, but you have no idea what might be round each bend when all the hedges are in leaf. Right now they're cut back hard and you can ride for miles without seeing any other vehicle.
Potholes and edges of roads dropped away in places and it wouldn't be a good thing to do alone as you're riding between some very deep, water filled ditches and it's really hard work, but my goodness, you know you're alive!
What a treat!
Home before dark and a large mug of Bovril before putting the filthy Kawasaki to bed. I was also splattered with mud from head to toe. Perfect day ;-)

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Just like the old days.

Post by Ninjachica » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Sounds like a lovely day.

Ed suggested Benasau today, but it was only 4⁰ up there (in the mountains) so i said no!

Soon have another week off so hopefully it will be a bit warmer.
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
Snev
Posts:1797
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Just like the old days.

Post by Snev » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:50 am

So good to see you getting back to "normal" Bee......Only riding the Electric thing here, haven't been on any other bike for months. I really do need to get a grip, falling into bad routines lately.
Ok, I confess.......

User avatar
CantCorner
Posts:747
Joined:Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: Just like the old days.

Post by CantCorner » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:31 am

I'll join this conversation next Spring when there's a chance of me using a bike . :D :D
It wasn't my fault , I was left unsupervised !

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Just like the old days.

Post by Beelady » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:47 am

Nev, I hope to do a lot more normal next year.
I made a list when I moved into my beige and grey box. The things that I wanted done, so I need never do them again. They are all mostly outdoor jobs as that's where I spend most of my time. I have had the pebbledash and render (plus the cracks in the wall, hiding from sight) repaired and replaced and then painted with one of those technical paints that will outlast me, so now I have the bungalow weathertight and all the different colours and bodges are gone and I like the new colour much better :)
I have gates and security for the bikes. I have a big tool shed, with a bench to learn how to use power tools (I'm getting better at them!). I have huge water butts, so I don't have to worry about water for my many containers and raised beds. I have a brilliant hot composting set up and recently I've set up my wormery and made it bigger.
I have fruit trees trained on the horrible brick walls and wall planters for my breakfast strawberries all summer.
I have three garden arches (one of which is almost straight. It wasn't as easy as it looked on youtube :D ) which now have roses, jasmine and clematis planted.
I just need to dig the pond to complete the list, but that can wait until I feel up to it. I might even get round to sending you kitchen pictures so you can tell me if my plan is sensible or just really complicated.
Mostly though I just want more normal :)

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Just like the old days.

Post by Ninjachica » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:13 pm

Well done Bee.
It took us years to get our house as it should be. My kitchen was hilarious for 6 years. Working double sink and marble worktops all balanced on breeze blocks.

Now, i just have to keep it clean (and paint the chimney breast each spring).

It mezns i never feel guilty going out on the bike 😁👍
If it ain't fun, don't do it

Post Reply