User avatar
Snev
Posts:1797
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am
Re: Crossroads

Post by Snev » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:07 pm

Ninjachica wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 pm
Really tough time.

You will need an income, whatever you do. This world is not really geared up for bartering.

You can get by on very little, but not on nothing.

Very few people are lucky enough to make a living from their hobby, but i hope you find a stress free way forward.
I really agree Brigette .... back in the late 80's early 90's I was in a similar situation.... no job, no partner, no home and no money..... luckily, I found a place to live, it was a hotel that had a few other people who were on social.... I was lucky to be able to live there for 3 months without having any money to pay rent or buy food.... the Land Lady was a real star... Alcoholic as her Husband ran off with the cleaner , but still able to function...... When eventually I got the dole, I was 3 months behind and she let me pay bit by bit...... that's when I started Foraging to be able to eat.... 18 months later I got out of that hole and started a new life..... It.s not really been a bed of roses but I've had some good times this last 30 years..... As for Work ? Not much I can do really, the Lungs are the problem, walking and lifting stop me from being able to do the physical stuff..... It's only my Brain that really works now and being 60 this year isn't really any help...... the Vanlife thing seems to be the only real answer...... Sort of like a "Si Grant" Moment......
Ok, I confess.......

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Crossroads

Post by Beelady » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:00 am

I've been through the not opening letters thing myself. There were some very hard times, back in the 80's.
I'm glad you still have your escape assets. Time away from it all, out of doors, is really good for you.
Do you know exactly how much this is going to cost with the clearing and closing down everything?
I think I'd hang on to your house until it's all over, unless things get to the stage where it's needed.
At least you'll be done with the business before the digital tax stuff comes in in April. It's going to be chaos and you'd have had to "invest" in new software. Nobody is ready to change over, but there's no escape.

Can you work with wood? I can't remember if that's one of your things.
Is house/pet sitting still a thing? I used to get to stay in nice houses, with mostly nice animals to care for. That way you wouldn't both be shut up in the van together so often, if you take that route.
Dog minding for someone who goes out to work?
I'm working on it! xx

User avatar
Snev
Posts:1797
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Crossroads

Post by Snev » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:18 pm

Emma, love..... It's horrible isn't it ? I had to take a real step back when the letters started turning up..... I'm three months on now and still no escape ..... The latest barrier to Insolvency is the ownership of our Transit..... It's ours but there seems to be a covenant that stops us from including it in the Assets list...... I sold the Z900 to buy it but now It's become a Grey area..... it's halted the whole process and there seems to be a fair bit of confusion....................... But to be honest, I'm really getting to the point of not caring anymore..... On another point, My Lung issues are now taking over and to be honest, It's more of an issue..... Nothing I once was able to do is now possible.... The whole Woodworking ability ceased to be an option some years ago now and all I have is the knowledge......... but, Heck, I'll find some other way to earn a living even if it kills me !!!!!
Ok, I confess.......

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Crossroads

Post by Beelady » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:44 pm

I know a bit about lung stuff. I wish none of us had to. I have my rack and luggage off the Street Triple and the rack always reminds reminds me of carrying oxygen containers round for John as they didn't fit in his top box.
I plan to try and sell it all at the next auto jumble, plus some rarer than hens teeth plastics for a Street Triple. I have ordered new luggage for the blue slug and I intend to get some se out of it.
My sat nav is connected and speaks to my crash helmet and once I have my new bags fitted I'm off journeying again. Shelsey Walsh hill climb first. I had booked a place to take the Striple up for a couple of runs but I can't see the Bonny being ideal for a fast time up there!
After that I'll be doing another New Forest run. If all goes well I'll try and make it somewhere close enough to visit you. I have broad shoulders for you to cry on if you've not got a plan by then. xx

You'd think the transit stuff would be simple enough. Why do so-called professionals never know the rules properly? And they'll expect you to pay for what they don't know, too.

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Crossroads

Post by Ninjachica » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:46 pm

Ed used to have a lot of people working for him, but he ended up letting them all go and just working for himself. The costs were ridiculous.

He was in a tax mess when i met him, but we worked through it. The stress on him was terrible. He was told to go bankrupt, but resisted.

I don't know if a different accountant could help you.
Tough times.
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
Snev
Posts:1797
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Crossroads

Post by Snev » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:20 am

The Stress has been rather Intense that's for sure......... I'm glad you both got through it.......... The Tax and Bounce back Loans were the killers....... Having had 4 years of Brexit, Covid and Recession taking it's toll on sales, I finally got to the point of clarity........The deed is done.... I signed the papers yesterday...... It was the only way. Luckily being Ltd, it only affected the Business related dealings, no personal liabilties...... The stuff I've sold is to enable a smooth ride to the next stage.
Ok, I confess.......

User avatar
bobsnicholson
Posts:2579
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am
Location:Cheshire

Re: Crossroads

Post by bobsnicholson » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:25 am

That will be a lot off your mind................i would imagine.
Onwards and upwards.
Work is for people that can't play golf.

User avatar
Snev
Posts:1797
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am

Re: Crossroads

Post by Snev » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:52 am

Yes mate..... and thanks..... Sadly, my mum died yesterday so my thoughts are now of a different nature.
Ok, I confess.......

User avatar
bobsnicholson
Posts:2579
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am
Location:Cheshire

Re: Crossroads

Post by bobsnicholson » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:27 pm

Bloody hell. So sorry.
Can only get better from here.
Work is for people that can't play golf.

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Crossroads

Post by Beelady » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:50 pm

Wish I could be there to hug you. What a bad time you're having to get through.
I'm glad the business is sorted. As you say, you have other things to think about. xx

Post Reply