User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm
Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by Beelady » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:29 pm

A question for those of you who escape the country now and again.

I have great breakdown cover, here and in Europe, but a recent mishap involving one of the Triumph club members made me realise that if I had an accident I'd have to rely on my insurance to collect the bike and it gets very complicated, as well as taking weeks to sort out.

Can anyone recommend a breakdown company that includes being rescued after a crash?

User avatar
bobsnicholson
Posts:2579
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am
Location:Cheshire

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by bobsnicholson » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:17 pm

Good question Bee.
Unfortunately i don't have an answer.
I have had a breakdown and all was quite simple. A phone call and they do the rest.
As for repatriation after a accident really don't know or who you should be with.
Work is for people that can't play golf.

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by Ninjachica » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:00 pm

One of Ed's friends had this years ago, and it took ages to sort out.

I probably ought to read the fine print in my AA papers, as that is probably only for breakdown, not accident. (So yes, it would be an insurance job)
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by Beelady » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:07 am

One of the Triumph owners group crashed while nine of them were visiting war graves in France a couple of weeks ago.
He had the full gold package with the RAC and if he'd broken down he would have been sorted out or recovered home, but because it was accident damage they wouldn't come and he's had to turn it all over to his insurance company who are dragging their feet while all his luggage and the bike are sitting in a garage, somewhere in France.
He's over 80 and it really threw him. No head injury, but he was battered, confused and upset. Someone else on the holiday bought him home, pillion, but it's really got him down.
The rest of us hadn't thought of it either and on checking, we found none of our breakdown packages cover us for such a thing happening, so we're all hunting to see what we can find.
Carole Nash seem to be a possible, so our secretary is finding out.
I'm lucky enough to have friends with bike trailers (also not covered for breakdown by most companies) or vans, so a 'phone call would have someone coming to help.
The bike in France is unrideable, but repairable. His insurance may write it off, rather than bring it home, but if it comes back it goes to 4th Dimension for repair and although they were really helpful when my bike ended up there, I wouldn't want them to repair anything of mine. They have a shocking reputation for poor work and I've seen a few examples.
I'd already decided not to risk taking the Striple abroad this year. Time to do some homework, I think.
I'll let you know if we find somewhere that covers this. Always worth knowing useful stuff.

User avatar
bobsnicholson
Posts:2579
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am
Location:Cheshire

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by bobsnicholson » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:49 am

All very interesting and informative.
Highly unlikely i would go to Europe on my bike.
However, there would still be the chance i would put it on my trailer and take it behind the motorhome. So should the worse happen, say a wee accident i have the means of getting the bike back under my own steam and not have to rely on breakdown recovery.
As for insurance and repairs, well that's another story.

I do feel for your friend. They don't make it easy do they.
Work is for people that can't play golf.

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by Beelady » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:11 am

Don't forget to check if your trailer is covered by your breakdown company. Another niggle we discovered while searching for info. was, size matters.
Another club member thought his boat trailer was covered in his get you home package, but it turned out that it was three feet too long and another found his bike trailer wasn't included at all. It's a real can of worms.

The Triumph stuck in France has been written off and is coming back to Britain to be crushed. I feel a bit sad as it's fitted with an X pipe that John bought for his Bonneville, but he was too poorly to fit it.
I sold it to my friend and I rather liked knowing it was on a bike I often ride with. Silly, I know, but I feel a bit weird about it.

User avatar
bobsnicholson
Posts:2579
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 am
Location:Cheshire

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by bobsnicholson » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:27 pm

Strangely i check the trailer i have bought for a car was included in my policy for the motorhome, and yes it is.
Work is for people that can't play golf.

User avatar
Ninjachica
Posts:1984
Joined:Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by Ninjachica » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:42 pm

Good call on the insurance.

My son in law is looking a getting a trailer. Must tell him to check that side out...
If it ain't fun, don't do it

User avatar
CantCorner
Posts:747
Joined:Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by CantCorner » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:41 am

Checked my insurance and although I'm covered for European riding and breakdown there was nothing to say anything about getting the bike home after an accident . From a mates' experience after a breakdown , it took nearly two months to get his bike back from France . :shock:
It wasn't my fault , I was left unsupervised !

User avatar
Beelady
Posts:1348
Joined:Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:39 pm

Re: Accident recovery in Europe.

Post by Beelady » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:38 pm

I think I'm going to have to rely on getting someone to bring a van over for me, should the worst happen.
I had no idea it would turn out to be such a complicated question!
I was told Carol Nash do the right sort of cover, but I was also told they're about to go into receivership. Who knows what is and isn't true? All too difficult :shock:

Post Reply